Friday, April 11, 2008

more progamming crazy ivans

A while back, an old friend I hadn't talked to in a while asked me what I was up to in a phone conversation. He knew me back in the day when I was all about Linux and generally tried to steer away from anything Windows (except for playing a few video games). Thus, he was
truly shocked when I informed him that I was messing around with ASP.net and thinking about using it as a platform for a project.

There was about 10 seconds of dead air on the phone. I imagine he spent the time checking the calendar to make sure it wasn't April Fools, then checking his cell phone to ensure he'd called the right number. He then asked if I was kidding, to which I replied "Negative, Ghostrider."

Now. As big of a shock as that was, here's an even bigger one. I've recently been forced to pickup Python and, with the help of 10 minutes of expert tutoring, achieved some minimal amount of zen on the language. It's still not my first choice, I still hate whitespace-is-important, the documentation is still missing something, and I'm still peeved that int's aren't really objects...

But I have to grudgingly admit that it's not plague on humanity I once painted it as.

So. My bad for burning all those pythonistas at the stake over the years. I feel just awful about it now.

No comments: