Monday, June 30, 2008

my days as an epic'd out prot warrior are numbered

I got a note the other day letting me know that my tri-monthly subscription to WoW was successfully paid and that I was free to continue playing until September 8th.

Don't know what it was, but that made me realize that playing the game isn't really fun anymore and that while the expansion offers hope of change and some freshness:

1) there's still no hint as to when it will be released
2) the shine will wear off in a month, then it's back to the grind and scanning patch notes to try and figure out where the cheese got moved to this time

The fact is, I've done everything that I wanted to do in WoW. I've seen the parts of the game that only 13% of the player base has been to (and with a trip to Sunwell tonight, will join the 7% club). My gear is mostly outranked by only T6 stuff, and even then only slightly. And most significantly, it's a pleasure to play with the other folks in my guild... there's a level of teamsmanshipiness that I haven't seen in a long, long time.

But the problem is that the game itself is pretty fscking boring now. Taking down a raid boss isn't really a matter of "how?" but rather "when?". Instance runs are basically just a matter of calling out a series of plays from the playbook, tactics depend more on the specialization of the other people with me than what the monsters can do, and party wipes are merely annoying moments that slow down the run rather than crushing defeats.

There's just something wrong when your team downs the Curator before he finishes his first Evocation round. It feels about as rewarding as beating up a 13 year old.

And so, barring meeting a Spurs cheerleader with a thing for guys who play undead prot warriors, I've decided to let the subscription run out in Sept and find something new to obsess over before I get to the point where I can't even stand to login anymore.

The question now is... what next to conquer? ;)

No comments: